Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween in Korea


HOLY CRAP I had an amazing weekend. Playing zombie in Seoul was a ridiculously awesome experience.



First, let's backtrack. On Thursday I had a Halloween party with my kids at the suggestion of many amazing TaLK scholars. For each of my classes, we went trick-or-treating to the library and teacher conference room, played pin the nose on the pumpkin, did a mummy wrap and unscrambled the letters in Halloween and recorded a message for our penpals! I should have a video compilation done soon. All photos of the Sojeong Elementary Halloween party can be seen here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=8409&id=295700354


That night I also went to a concert that featured one of my student's fathers as a performer. They also had Pansuri singing, a traditional Korean style of singing! http://www.facebook.com/annunc1ata?v=app_2392950137#!/video/video.php?v=508860385508

On Friday afternoon, I found out about a Seoul Zombie Walk on Saturday and immediately began rearranging my plans to go. I saw Paranormal Activity 2 in Suwon with Luke on Friday evening and made my way up to Seoul on Saturday afternoon.

I met up with my friend Tammy, a Gongju TaLK scholar, in Itaewon. We went to What The Book?, Korea's best foreign bookstore, and ate at Gecko's Bar and Grill-- I had a tofu enchilada, yum! Tammy and I took the metro to Seoul Park and started doing our makeup.

We began walking through the park at about 9:30pm, then made our descent upon the metro. About 40 zombies lumbered through the Seoul metro train, freaking out the local Koreans. We actually had a very angry man almost call the cops on us. Kayla, Miok, and Kristen met up with us on the subway as zombie hunters with terrifyingly realistic toy guns!



We continued the scaring in Hongdae, I'm sure there will be many pictures.
To help you be there, I posted this on my Picasa. A compilation of the photos taken by my friends last night.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nyxnightingale/ZombieHalloween#

I came home to Jochiwon and slept for 5 hours. My feet are swollen and the bottoms are bruised. I have a cough and a sniffle from wearing fishnet stockings in Korean autumn. My throat is hoarse from rasping "Nuwaeee.." all night at the unsuspecting Koreans. But I had a fan-fraking-tastic time and I wouldn't have done anything different.

No comments:

Post a Comment