Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Productive Insomnia!

I may as well post a blog update while I am lying awake sick!

So, yes. I finally caught a Korean cold. Go me! I got some orange juice before work at the GS25 (convenience store) but was unable to convey that I wanted cold medicine. So, when I arrived at school I went to the school nurse and through extensive pantomime (sick, headache, dizzy, runny nose, cough, medicine) was able to get some cold medicine! It's traditional medicine that tastes like a molasses drink. A few of the 6th grade girls said, "Teacher, sick? Awwww.. Medicine? *point* UGHHH! *stick tongue out*" They hated it. But I like the way it tastes!

Last weekend, I went on an adventure in Daegu in honor of my friend / orientation roommate Emily's 21st birthday. It was about a 2.5 hour train ride from Jochiwon to Daegu. On the way there, I sat next to a particularly smelly young man, and lost my electronic dictionary stylus in a seat cushion. Do'h! Once in Daegu, I met up with Emily and Steph and got some pabingsu. I love it well. We proceeded to get food. went to noraebang (karaoke!), got our bags and danced until about 3:00 in the morning. Here is a snapshot of the lovely Emily and Corrie dancing at noraebang.

Then, we went to look for a "jingibang" or spa to stay in (they're usually about $7 a person to stay the night. First one? A "special" jinjibang marked by a barber's pole. Basically, prostitutes. Ladies are not allowed and I don't think you can stay the night. So, we kept walking. Jinjibang #2: Filled to occupancy, but another lead! Jinjibang #3: A terrifying old building that looks like a haunted house! I think this is cool, others are not so thrilled. We finally check it out, and alas. Filled to occupancy. We try about 3 others with no luck, and end up sleeping on benches at the train station until morning and go home.

Unfortunately, there are not many pictures. Or, maybe it is fortunate? We rotated between soaked, very drunk, and very tired throughout the course of the adventure and probably wouldn't have produced very lovely pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment