Saturday, August 14, 2010

Week 2: Koreatastic Times!


This week was another very full adventure in Korea. Monday was a full lecture day, but I was able to explore the traditional Korean market in Jochiwon that night. We were given $20, were put into groups and given tasks to complete-- like buying slippers or finding the smallest available shoe size, and asked to bargain on prices. Gak ga juseyo: "Can you give a discount please?" We're all showing off our uber-cool scavenger hunt items in the picture.

Tuesday and Wednesday were lecture days. Though, we got all dressed up to meet our provincial office of education representatives who told us about our schools. I've contacted both my Korean mentor teacher and the scholar who was previously in my position at my school (Sojoung Elementary) but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thursday was SEOUL. We saw a performance of "Nanta" a Korean musical of sorts, except with no songs. It was somewhat like the Blue Man group and cooking combined, very fun, high energy and entertaining. Then we had a Korean cooking lesson and learned to make bibimbap, blanching vegetables and what-not.

Then we were off. On our own. First order of biznezz: cell phones. So, I got some T-Money (sounds like a hilarious nickname, but is a card used for subway and taxis) and a few of us took the subway to Itaewon. I spent $50 for a pay-as-you-go phone. It took a bit for the phones to activate, so I killed some time in a PC cafe and got a Frappuchino. It was much more expensive and not quite as good as the ones at home. We ate dinner in Itaewon, next to a transvestite club. Then we spent the night in a spa. The bath house gender separated but nude and had giant phallus statues. Cameras weren't allowed. I'm sure you're all terribly disappointed. SOJU=BAD

On Friday, we left early. Really early and headed to the giant Coex mall underneath the World Trade Center. I finally got some pancakes, we went to a bookstore, shopped around the group split; half of us saw Inception and others went to an aquarium. Inception was awesome! We ate again, and then we all got our bank cards sorted out. Debit card, yaaay! We were on our way to the World Taekwondo Federation headquarters but had to leave early because a party member fell very sick. The train ticket home was only $8! We ordered Mr. Pizza back in Jochiwon and enjoyed it in the lobby.

That being said, I.. really don't want to go back to Seoul for a while. True, it was fun. True, we did get a great deal done. But it was also exhausting, confusing to navigate, expensive to eat and travel, difficult to effectively appease 8 people for activity choices and with the Korean summer heat to top it off, I was Bitchy McBitch before the end of it. My two days in Seoul totaled about $200, not much considering how much most people spend on vacations, but I just can't be spending that kind of money right now.

Today, I got to sleep in until 11, and soon thereafter talked to Mom and Sissy on Skype. Afterward, me and some friends ate lunch and walked to the Paris Baguette (a Korean bakery chain) in Jochiwon for coffee and pastries. Laundry, cleaning, stuff. I'm already ready for bed. We have to get up early to go north to English Camp, to practice with real live Korean students! We will each be assigned an kid to mentor, and practix our skillz. NO INTERNET UNTIL FRIDAY.

Here's a map to help you visual learners. I've been all over the place.
View Charlotte's Korea Adventures in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment