Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Arrival!


So, after about 20 hours of bouncing from plane to plane (Atlanta to Phoenix to Los Angeles to Seoul) I have arrived in Korea and completed my first day of orientation. Currently I am in my room at Korea University Sejong Campus in the little city Jochiwon, Yeongi County, Chungnam Province.

It's quiet town, except for the lovely hum and chirps of the summer cicadas. The campus is small but dignified, and the resources are impressive. The food is really yummy! Kimchi is everywhere, quite literally for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Dinner was an udon noodle soup with wontons, rice and kimchi on the side and a serving of watermelon for dessert.

So far, everyone speaks English too. I didn't make it out to town today-- it's about a 20 minute walk, so with jet lag and the summer heat I opted for another day-- but I am hoping I'll have to do nonverbal communication soon. Maybe a bar? The stipulations of my contract with the TaLK program and the government prohibit excessive drinking for obvious reasons, but I would really like to soak up the local culture. =)

I found a neat old-style house, which made my head turn as the bus got into Jochiwon. It looks abandoned, and I want to live there instead!

The bad: I blew an electrical outlet today. I didn't check to see if my voltage converter was switched to the 200v->100v setting. I plugged everything in, hunky dory; my laptop has been fine after all! But after a few seconds of turning on my hair straightener, I heard a huge POP come from the socket and it started smoking! Gyahhh! Then my dumb ass had a bright idea to switch the setting and try it again. POP! Sizzle! Smoke! I broke my favorite straightner too! It looks like I'm going to have to get a Korean one after all, and be very careful to check my voltage converters!

Had a wonderful conversation with Cat and the girls today. Cat was signed in just as my internet was turned on!

Pictures of so far: http://picasaweb.google.com/nyxnightingale/Korea#

No comments:

Post a Comment