Sunday, December 26, 2010

Korean Winter and Christmas!

As another layer of snow delicately coats the outdoors, I feel an urge to make a blog post. First, a reiteration. It's cold. It's very cold. It's much colder than Florida ever was. And there's a strange white fluffy substance that falls from the sky. It melts and forms ice, which makes you slip and fall on your bum in the morning. I still am altogether unsure of this snow thing.

Anywho, such is the time to experiment! So last weekend, I went with the gregarious Gongju gang to Gangwando, a province in the northern part of the country, to go.. SKIING, a first for a townie like me. The trip was organized by Adventure Korea and we skiied at the lovely Phoenix Park Resort. It was cold, yes. But, by gosh, it was fun too! I loved skiing very quickly and falling over as the only way I knew how to stop. The Korean schoolkiddos found my bumbles to be amusing. And the ski lifts were divine-- it felt like flying!


And, Christmas! Well, as despite the prevalence of Christianity in Korea, Christmas is not what I would call a large holiday. In fact, the local grocery stores were far more decorated for Pepero Day in November. The stores were all open. There were people on the streets. Everything was.. normal. Aside from the mysteriously crowded trains, it really felt like just another Korean Saturday. Calm.

I spent the holidays with my darlings from Gyeongbuk, opened presents from one another (I got some real good'uns!) had a home-made holiday meal, and danced in the Christmas lights in Daegu. VIA Skype, I got to join me fam on Christmas morning and view the stressful holiday from afar! I miss my family and friends, and hope you all had an amazing holiday!


Next week is New Years! I wonder in excitement what interesting things Korea shall offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment